Log in

No account? Create an account
whitewater consciousness -- the journal fellow travellers itinerary meet your guide whitewater consciousness -- the website upstream upstream downstream downstream
passport cards - when you don't know what to do...
do the next thing
passport cards
I just went and made sure I knew where my passport was (it was right where it's supposed to be). Inside it, though, I found my passport card. I'm thinking I might carry that instead of my booklet when I go to Quebec next week. Has anyone else used the card successfully? I'd hate to get to the border and be turned back. I suppose I could carry both and present the booklet if they give me a hard time, but the whole point is to carry something that I can tuck in my wallet.

? PERSONAL EXPERIENCES? (No seriously. Not "that's what it says on the card," not "my mother's friend's cousin's stepdad's uncle thought about using it," I want to know if anyone of you have PERSONALLY used a passport card to cross into Canada. It's really very simple, and I'm not in a mood for shenanigans.)

i feel: curious curious

12 trips or shoot the rapids
noveldevice From: noveldevice Date: May 1st, 2010 01:17 am (UTC) (base camp)
I don't have one, but in theory, as long as you're not flying the passport card is fine.
prettydark From: prettydark Date: May 1st, 2010 02:57 am (UTC) (base camp)
you could probably phone and ask but it should be fine. we have an 'extended driver's license' that is supposed to be able to get me into the US.
crayolaab From: crayolaab Date: May 1st, 2010 03:04 am (UTC) (base camp)
we have different versions out here in WA but my friend has used hers a bunch of times at the borders out here.
tashabear From: tashabear Date: May 1st, 2010 03:09 am (UTC) (base camp)
Cool... I'm just about sold. I'd hate to think I wasted the money on it. ;-)
crayolaab From: crayolaab Date: May 1st, 2010 05:48 pm (UTC) (base camp)
I know that my friends in VT have used theirs too, out in your neck of the woods, but since I wasn't with them at the time I have no idea if they were given any grief. Tesia's never been given any trouble, even when I'm with her with my passport (don't have a card), and we go to the more obscure border crossing instead of the main one on the interstate - I'd guess if there's going to be any resistance it would be more likely at the smaller crossings?
tashabear From: tashabear Date: May 1st, 2010 05:52 pm (UTC) (base camp)
Which is where, I think, we're crossing. And we're only going like 6km into Canada, too, to a little youth camp.

I think I'll ask on the sca community, see what turns up.
derekl1963 From: derekl1963 Date: May 1st, 2010 05:59 pm (UTC) (base camp)
That's the Extended Driver's License, and it's only available to those of us who live in border states. (I'm not sure if Tasha does or not.)

I ended up getting a card along with my passport because it's such a PITA to get the extended license. Never have used the card though, just the passport.
tashabear From: tashabear Date: May 1st, 2010 06:03 pm (UTC) (base camp)
I do not live in a border state, actually, which would explain why 'd never heard of an Extended Driver's License. (For a moment there I thought prettydark was Canadian and it was one o' them there Canadian things, like loonies and twonies and poutine, but neither fungible nor delicious.)
wolfwings From: wolfwings Date: May 1st, 2010 08:06 am (UTC) (base camp)
The passport card is, as mentioned in that article, explicitly and specifically for travel between the US, Canada, and Mexico especially as an alternative to carrying your full passport when travelling by land and sea.

So if you're driving, bussing, or ferrying across to Quebec to/from the United States? The passport card is explicitly and specifically all you need to do so.
tashabear From: tashabear Date: May 1st, 2010 02:14 pm (UTC) (base camp)
I'm looking for PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I'm pretty sure my English degree was sufficient training in the "reading for content" department, but luckily I've got a degree in communications as a back up.

Now, I don't know about you, but after over twenty years of federal service, I've run across more than one federal employee who would be the type to not give a flying fuck WHAT it says on a card, but "that ain't a passport, bub, and you ain't crossing this border." And since at that point, it will be coming on for dark and cold and I'm likely to be on a motorcycle, I'd like to avoid that scenario.
wolfwings From: wolfwings Date: May 1st, 2010 02:50 pm (UTC) (base camp)
In the future then, please make it clear you're only asking for personal experiences. You did not.

As you'll be stuck in such an ugly position (and I agree, on a motorcycle in the middle of the night at a border crossing is pretty ugly) I do fully understand your concerns, and apologize if I came across badly. It was not my intention. Good day.
tashabear From: tashabear Date: May 1st, 2010 02:57 pm (UTC) (base camp)
Bullshit. What part of "Has anyone else used the card successfully?" is unclear? Maybe, just MAYBE I should have been more explicit and said "Have any of YOU used the card successfully," but I thought the people on my f-list smart enough to get that implication.

EDIT: I'm sorry. That last bit was uncalled for. I'm not in a good mood, and I took it out on you. I do apologize.

Edited at 2010-05-01 02:59 pm (UTC)
12 trips or shoot the rapids